Thursday, March 5, 2009

SharePoint & Project Management

First, let me say thanks for popping by and reading this. This is my first blog post- ever! I started this blog over 6 months ago, thinking I’d be posting every week after uncovering lots of inside information about SharePoint. Half a year later, I’m finally posting and it’s not even about SharePoint, strictly speaking.

To that point, I think my original vision was a bit myopic. So this blog won’t be strictly about SharePoint. Instead, I’m going to attempt to use it as a place to share anything that I think you, the reader, might find interesting or useful.

So, again, thanks for reading this. Now, on to my first post, which is, ultimately, a question…

The company I'm consulting for has just gone through a major round of layoffs and a lot of really good people have lost there jobs. (If any of you are reading this, I want to say I’ve enjoyed working with you all and have learned a lot!)

On top of that, it's been announced that IT will be off-shoring development- SharePoint development, in particular.

Look folks, my opinions on sending our jobs overseas is irrelevant. But I do believe there are 3 facts that we’ve got to accept about off-shoring:
1. It's happening.
2. It will continue to happen*
3. It's going to suck.

No amount of complaining is going to change any of these facts. But I can’t help but believe that there are opportunities hidden here. So, keeping in mind fact #3, I’ve decided on one goal- Find a way to make it suck less.

I’m a SharePoint consultant, so my initial thought is “How can I use SharePoint to make it suck less?” (PMTips.net has an
article that I found quite useful.)

But, in an on-going quest to end my own myopia, I can’t help but ask “what else is out there that can be used to facilitate project management- be it on or off shore?”

What about Facebook, Twitter, Blogs (which SharePoint can handle), IM’s? What else is out there that can be used not just in a social way, but also as a business productivity tool? And, how can they be used this way?

I’m putting the question out there and inviting ideas and feedback.

Thanks again for reading my first shared point.


~CG


*Until such time as the bean-counters decide it’s not saving any $$


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Offshoring all programming work is a false economy - yeah programmers are cheaper over ther, but projet management and communication costs almost always increase to cover the difference.

Forget about SharePoint as an end and explore it as a means to an end - how can we be better project managers with some SharePoint knowledge.

Chris G. said...

Hey Donkos, thanks for the feedback. I agree with you 100%! But how do you effectively convey that to the decision makers?

When some analyst generates a report saying "We used to spend $10,000/day on development. By sending it off-shore, I've cut that down to only $2,500/day. I've just knocked our expensies down by 75%!"

How do you get the decsion maker to take their eyes off of that false bottom line?

In the mean time, we're stuck with the reality of off-shoring. Hence, my quest- trying to make it suck less.

Again, thanks for your feedback!

cg